Universal Music Group International (UMGI)
WARNING: As this organisation lists one or more EP accredited lobbyists, it is highly improbable that its lobbying costs are lower than €10,000.
WARNING: The lobbying costs declared by this organisation are extraordinarily high and may therefore have been over-declared.
900,000€ - 999,999€
Lobbyists declared: 1.5 FTE (6)
WARNING: The number of full time equivalent lobbyists declared by this organisation are extraordinarily high and may therefore have been over-declared.
Lobbyists with EP accreditation: 2
Meetings with European Commission: 29
Lobbying costs over the years:
Universal Music Group International (UMGI)
Registration on EU Transparency Register
Goals / Remit
UMGI is a recorded music business that discovers and develops recording artists and markets and promotes their music across a wide array of formats and platforms.
UMGI engages on policies that impact copyright law, specifically, as well as the entertainment industry more generally.
The legislative environment around safe harbours (the “value gap” discussions) and the notice and take down mechanisms. Review of the Copyright Directive and copyright reform. The E-Commerce Directive and the Digital Agenda. EU legislative instrument on the role of intermediaries. Copyright enforcement.
4 Pancras Square
London N1C 4AG,
Tel: 44 2039326000
Lobbyists with EP accreditation
Person in charge of EU relations
Person with legal responsibility
Outside of the US, UMG belongs to recorded music trade associations and works with them on an international (via The International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (“IFPI”)) and national, via the local trade association in each specific country, such as the British Phonographic Industry in the UK, basis.
In addition, UMG is a member of producer collecting societies engaged in collective rights management, such as Phonographic Performance Limited, or PPL, in the UK and the SCPP in France.
UMG also works with analogous trade associations, e.g. International Confederation of Music Publishers, International Music Publishers Association and various European national associations (such as the Music Publishers Association in the UK) as well as collecting societies, e.g. PRS for Music in the UK, in relation to music publishing.
In the US, the primary trade associations we belong to are:
* Recording Industry Association of America;
* National Music Publishers Association;
* Sound Exchange.
Procurement from EU institutions
Grants from EU institutions
Total public financing
Other financial information
There are no notes attached to this organisation.
Expert groups (European Commission)
Intergroups (European Parliament)
Industry forums (European Parliament)
Review of the Copyright Directive
Meetings with European Commission29 meetings found.
The list below only covers meetings held since November 2014 with commissioners, their cabinet members or directors-general at the European Commission; other lobby meetings with lower-level staff may have taken place, but the European Commission doesn't publish information about such meetings. All information below comes from European Commission web pages.
- 07 Jun 2018 - Manuel Mateo-Goyet - Copyright and Platforms (DG Digital Economy)
- 15 May 2017 - Szabolcs Horvath - Digital Single Market (DG Education)
- 15 May 2017 - Stig Joergen Gren - DSM general, copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 23 Feb 2017 - Pauline Rouch - Digital Single Market (DG Presidency)
- 23 Feb 2017 - Juhan Lepassaar - DSM, copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 19 Sep 2016 - Commissioner Pierre Moscovici - Copyright et présenter l'entreprise, ainsi que les défis actuels du secteur. (DG Economics & Tax)
- 19 Sep 2016 - Head of the EPSC Ann Mettler - Copyright (DG European Political Strategy Centre)
- 19 Sep 2016 - Lucie Mattera - Copyright et présenter l'entreprise, ainsi que les défis actuels du secteur. (DG Economics & Tax)
- 19 Sep 2016 - Nele Eichhorn - Digital single market and the music industry (DG Trade)
- 09 Sep 2016 - Szabolcs Horvath - Copyright reform (DG Education)
- 14 Jul 2016 - Szabolcs Horvath - Digital Single Market (DG Education)
- 27 Jun 2016 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 23 Jun 2016 - Marika LAUTSO-MOUSNIER - Development of the music market (DG Jobs & Growth)
- 23 Jun 2016 - Lucie Mattera - UMG want to : 1) introduce themselves for an ongoing dialogue; 2) discuss the music market’s rapid transformation and wholly-changed competitive landscape; and 3) present a view for the future. (DG Economics & Tax)
- 23 Jun 2016 - Szabolcs Horvath - Digital Single Market (DG Education)
- 10 Jun 2016 - Szabolcs Horvath Adrienn Kiraly - Copyright - Digital Single Market (DG Education)
- 08 Jun 2016 - Jon Nyman Miguel Ceballos Baron - public performance and broadcasting in FTA (DG Trade)
- 10 May 2016 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 03 Mar 2016 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 10 Dec 2015 - Adrienn Kiraly Szabolcs Horvath - Digital Single Market, Copyright, Creative Industries (DG Education)
- 25 Nov 2015 - Secretary-General Alexander Italianer - The EU's current international and economic priorities (DG Secretariat-General)
- 25 Nov 2015 - Director-General Roberto Viola - Copyright (DG Communications Networks, Content and Technology)
- 23 Nov 2015 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 23 Oct 2015 - Fabrice Comptour - Introductory meeting (DG Internal Market)
- 23 Oct 2015 - Eduard Hulicius - DSM – liability of platforms (DG Justice)
- 14 Oct 2015 - Pauline Rouch - Digital Single Market (DG Presidency)
- 10 Mar 2015 - Director-General Robert Madelin - Digital Single Market, Copyright (DG Communications Networks, Content and Technology)
- 10 Mar 2015 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)
- 21 Jan 2015 - Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright (DG Digital Single Market)