European Digital Rights (EDRi)
WARNING: As this organisation lists one or more EP accredited lobbyists, it is highly improbable that its lobbying costs are lower than €10,000.
WARNING: The lobbying costs declared by this organisation are extraordinarily high and may therefore have been over-declared.
300,000€ - 399,999€
Lobbyists declared: 5.5 FTE (6)
WARNING: The number of full time equivalent lobbyists declared by this organisation are extraordinarily high and may therefore have been over-declared.
Lobbyists with EP accreditation: 0
Meetings with European Commission: 22
Lobbying costs over the years:
European Digital Rights (EDRi)
Registration on EU Transparency Register
Goals / Remit
European Digital Rights (EDRi) was founded in June 2002 and its mandate covers all 45 member states of the Council of Europe. Currently 44 privacy and civil rights organisations have EDRi membership. They are based or have offices in 20 different countries in Europe.
The need for cooperation among digital rights organizations active in Europe is increasing as more and more EU regulation regarding the internet, copyright and privacy has a strong impact on fundamental rights. Some examples of legislation and developments EDRi is working on are the ePrivacy directive, the implementation of the GDPR, the copyright directive, mass surveillance and cross border access to e-evidence, the review of the telecoms package and net neutrality, privatised law enforcement, trade agreements and internet governance.
Since January 2003, EDRi regularly publishes the EDRi-gram, a bi-weekly email newsletter about digital civil rights in Europe.
- ePrivacy directive - General Data Protection Regulation implementation - Cross-border access to electronic evidence - Copyright directive - Audiovisual media services directive - Anti-terrorism directive - Online terrorist content regulation - Digital Single Market - International trade agreements - European Electronic Communications Code directive - BEREC
Rue Belliard, 12
Tel: 32 2 274 25 70
Lobbyists with EP accreditation
Person in charge of EU relations
Person with legal responsibility
EDRi is a member of the Civil Society Information Society Advisory Council (CSISAC) contributing to the policy work of the OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development)Committee for Information, Computer and Communications Policy (ICCP).
EDRi is a member of European Association for the defense of Human Rights (AEDH).
EDRi is also a member of the European Observatory on Infringments of Intellectual Property Rights.
ACCESS - (USA with European office in BE),
ALCEI - (Italy),
Alternative Informatics Association (Turkey),
Association for Technology and Internet - (Romania),
Bits of Freedom - (The Netherlands),
Chaos Computer Club e.V. - (Germany),
Digital Rights Ireland (Ireland),
digitalcourage - (Germany),
Digitale Gesellschaft - (Germany),
DFRI - (Sweden),
Electronic Frontier Finland (EFFI) - (Finland),
Electronic Frontier Foundation - (USA, with European Office in BE),
Forum InformatikerInnen für Frieden und gesellschaftliche Verantwortung - (Germany),
Foundation for Information Policy Research - (UK),
Förderverein Informationstechnik und Gesellschaft - (Germany),
Internet Society Bulgaria (Bulgaria),
The IT-Political Association of Denmark - (Denmark),
Iuridicum Remedium - (Czech Republic),
Initiative fur Netzfreiheit - (Austria),
Liga voor Mensenrechten - (Belgium),
Metamorphosis - (North Macedonia),
Modern Poland Foundation (Poland),
Nodo50.org - (Spain),
Open Rights Group - (UK),
Panoptykon Foundation - (Poland),
Privacy International - (UK),
quintessenz - (Austria),
Vrijschrift - (The Netherlands),
VIBE!AT - (Austria),
Wikimedia Germany (Germany),
Share Foundation (Serbia),
Electronic Frontier Norway (Norway),
Instituto para la Cultura Democrática en la era digital - Asociación Conservas (Spain),
Hermes Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights (Italy),
Free Software Foundation Europe e.V. (Germany)
Europäisches Zentrum für digitale Rechte (Austria)
Gesellschaft für Freiheitsrechte (Germany)
Electronic Privacy Information Center (USA)
Index on Censorship - Writers' and Scholars' Educational Trust (United Kingdom)
Defesa dos Direitos Digitais (Portugal)
La Quadrature du Net (France)
Procurement from EU institutions
Grants from EU institutions
Full specified budget
View the full specified budget for this organisation on the Transparency Register website.
Total public financing
Other financial information
There are no notes attached to this organisation.
Expert groups (European Commission)
Intergroups (European Parliament)
Industry forums (European Parliament)
We would also like to emphasize that EDRi is not involved in lobbying activities, because we don't have any direct or indirect financial gain from these activities. EDRi is active in advocating the European institutions for human rights and their recognition in the information society and the inclusion of these principles in any act adopted by the European Union. EDRi's main advocacy activities are related to digital civil rights issues, including: freedom of expression and privacy on the internet. At the same time we believe that this register fails basic transparency standards and that it does not provide EU lobbying transparency. A credible EU lobbying transparency register should include names of individual lobbyists and the issues that they try to influence, provide precise and comparable financial information on lobbying, and have effective sanctions to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the information disclosed.
Meetings with European Commission22 meetings found.
The list below only covers meetings held since November 2014 with commissioners, their cabinet members or directors-general at the European Commission; other lobby meetings with lower-level staff may have taken place, but the European Commission doesn't publish information about such meetings. All information below comes from European Commission web pages.
- 22 Feb 2021 - Vice-President Věra Jourová - Disinformation COVID -19 (DG Values and Transparency)
- 09 Dec 2020 - Commissioner Thierry Breton - Roundtable with NGOs on DSA and DMA (DG Internal Market)
- 06 Nov 2020 - Werner Stengg - Austrian NetzDG and Digital Services Act (DG A Europe Fit for the Digital Age)
- 22 Sep 2020 - Commissioner Helena Dalli - Anti-Racism Action Plan measures regarding artificial intelligence (DG Equality)
- 24 Jul 2020 - Vice-President Věra Jourová - Artificial Intelligence & biometrics (DG Values and Transparency)
- 01 Jul 2020 - Werner Stengg - To discuss Biometrics and Artificial Intelligence (DG A Europe Fit for the Digital Age)
- 25 May 2020 - Christiane Canenbley Werner Stengg - Fundamental rights and digital policy (DG A Europe Fit for the Digital Age)
- 15 May 2020 - Vice-President Věra Jourová - Fundamental Rights, EC response to COVID 19, GDPR, Artificial Intelligence (DG Values and Transparency)
- 15 May 2020 - Daniel Braun Monika Ladmanova Wojtek Talko - Fundamental Rights, EC response to COVID 19, GDPR, Artificial Intelligence (DG Values and Transparency)
- 30 Apr 2020 - Commissioner Thierry Breton - Fundamental rights and digital policies (DG Internal Market)
- 09 Oct 2018 - Wojtek Talko Renate Nikolay - Privacy Shield (DG Justice)
- 09 Oct 2018 - Commissioner Věra Jourová - Privacy Shield (DG Justice)
- 01 Mar 2018 - Laure Chapuis-Kombos - Privacy Shield, GDPR implementation and e-Privacy (DG Digital Single Market)
- 01 Mar 2018 - Vice-President Andrus Ansip - Privacy Shield, GDPR implementation and e-Privacy (DG Digital Single Market)
- 07 Mar 2017 - Kevin O'Connell - Privacy shield, GDPR (DG Justice)
- 07 Mar 2017 - Commissioner Věra Jourová - Privacy shield, GDPR (DG Justice)
- 07 Mar 2017 - Vice-President Andrus Ansip - e-Privacy proposal, general data protection regulation-state of play, privacy shield and international transfer (DG Digital Single Market)
- 07 Mar 2017 - Laure Chapuis-Kombos - e-Privacy proposal, general data protection regulation-state of play, privacy shield and international transfer (DG Digital Single Market)
- 14 Jun 2016 - Markus Schulte - Telecom review (DG Digital Economy)
- 25 Aug 2015 - Commissioner Günther Oettinger - Net Neutrality, TSM (DG Digital Economy)
- 29 Jan 2015 - Laure Chapuis-Kombos Stig Joergen Gren - Copyright reform, data protection issues (DG Digital Single Market)
- 15 Jan 2015 - Anna Herold - net neutrality, copyright (DG Digital Economy)